[CentOS] Anyone using CentOS Active Directory like system?

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 05:34:09 UTC 2013

On 09/29/2013 09:56 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> I'd test this over Samba as a AD replacement.....   but, if your
> environment includes a lot of windows client systems, and expects to use
> Active Directory group policies to closely manage those windows
> systems,  none of these solutions will come close to what the 'real
> thing' offers.

I agree.  If you're managing Windows clients and need Group Policy,
there's very little reason not to run AD.

If you "don't like" giving money to Microsoft, then ditch the clients.
Even if you replace AD with Samba, you still need a management
workstation to handle all of the tools that would otherwise be present
on an AD system.  Most of the time, that means you haven't actually
saved any money on Windows licenses.