[CentOS] updates issue

Fri Sep 20 18:21:51 UTC 2013
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

Since doing "yum update" this morning, an update that installed several
packages, the updater shows me 3 packages to install:

hpijs-1:3.12.4-4.el6_4.1 (x86_64)
hplip-common-3.12.4-4.el6_4.1 (x86_64)
hplip-libs-3.12.4-4.el6_4.1 (x86_64)

but when I attempt to actually run the update I get:

hplip-libs-3.12.4-4.el6.i686 requires libsane.so.1
hplip-libs-3.12.4-4.el6.i686 requires hplip-common = 3.12.4-4.el6 : Success - empty transaction

this is a 64-bit computer running 6.4 x86_64, and none of these 3 packages
as installed is i686 they are all x86_64.

So, why would I be getting errors saying that the 32-bit packages have
certain requirements that aren't being met? there are no such 32-bit
packages on this computer.

# yum list installed | grep -y hplip-libs
hplip-libs.x86_64       3.12.4-4.el6    @cr

                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."