[CentOS] exclude in a repo file

Tue Sep 3 23:01:01 UTC 2013
Jake Shipton <jakems at fedoraproject.org>

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 09:42:56 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Carl T. Miller <carl at carltm.com>
> wrote:
> > John R. Dennison wrote:

> >> Add
> >>
> >> includepkgs=firefox xulrunner
> >>
> >> to the repo definition for remi.
> >>
> >> This will _only_ allow those specific packages from remi and
> >> exclude everything else.
> >

> > Thanks.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  And I've
> > made a note to myself to not only search man page for the
> > a string, but to see if there is a separate man page for
> > the config file.
>
> You can also set 'enabled=0" for the repo, then after a "yum update"
> from the base repos, do a "yum --enablerepo=xxx install package..."
> (or update) for the specific packages you want from there..   This
> isn't quite as full-auto as specifying the packages in the repo
> file,but it will bring along dependencies that you might have to add
> piecemeal.   Just be sure you look at the list of packages yum is
> proposing to change before confirming it.

That's one way of doing it.

I would suggest the following:

add:

exclude = firefox thunderbird xulrunner

to base/updates, followed by

priority = 1

and then in remi repo

priority = 10

and finally,

yum install yum-priorities*

This should keep those pesky unwanted base-overwriting packages out
unless you specifically want them :-) You should do the same with other
repositories.

Just my 2 pence.

Kind Regards,
Jake Shipton (JakeMS)
GPG Key: 0xE3C31D8F
GPG Fingerprint: 7515 CC63 19BD 06F9 400A DE8A 1D0B A5CF E3C3 1D8F