[CentOS] Help with VMware ESXi manager for CentOS - newbie level

Thu Sep 5 15:46:04 UTC 2013

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
>> On 9/5/2013 3:52 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:
>>> At one point, it would work, but not with https.  5.1 and up can have
everything managed from the web browser--they're actually dropping the
client, I believe, and having you do everything from the browser.
With CentOS, (as opposed to Fedora) one needed to add some keyboard
trickery to get the arrow keys to work in the web console though.

>> but VMware ESXi 5.x is very crippled in its free configuration, with
draconian limits on how much RAM is allowed before you have to start
paying for licenses.

> I'd look at it the other way and say that the free version of ESXi, the
client and the conversion tool is really very nice to give away for
free...  In many ways it is more convenient to use than KVM and very,
very stable.  But, I haven't had any trouble getting KVM (or a recent
virtualbox) to run the same vmdk images, so you aren't
> completely tied to it.

I'd also add that the o/p said this was what they used at his job, and I
find it highly unlikely that he's going to be able to convince management
to move to a VM system that they're not familiar with, esp. when all of
his co-workers, and presumably management, run Windows. Given that, I
think the answers he needs are how to deal with VMware ESXi as it is.

And yes, I'm well aware that ESXi is a modified version of, mmm, is it
still RHEL 3, or have they gone up yet?

         mark