[CentOS] large SCSI RAID, replacing server

Tue Sep 10 17:28:48 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 9/10/2013 9:52 AM, Joseph Spenner wrote:
>>
>> How can I build up a new system to be ready for this existing RAID?   Or will the latest/greatest CentOS just know what to do, and allow me to simply copy the /etc/fstab over and respect it?
>
> what that error said, use parted.
>
>      parted -l   /dev/sda
>
> to list the partitions on device /dev/sda.
>
> fdisk is deprecated

And note that the /dev/sd + letter names are detection-order
dependent.  Another box will detect the same partitions on the raid
but they might end up with different names.    Assuming you don't boot
from the disk, that is something you can fix with a little fiddling
after you see where it ends up on the new host, but it can be
inconvenient - and you have to know how to remount your root disk rw
so you can fix it when a bad fstab entry makes the boot fail.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com