[CentOS] Setting up postfix under CentOS-6

Fri Sep 13 11:37:21 UTC 2013
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

natxo asenjo wrote:

>> The CentOS document <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix>
>> explicitly says that its instructions may not work in CentOS-6.
>> Does anyone know of reasonably simple postfix documentation
>> for CentOS-6?
>
> no. Maybe you can write one after you figure it out :-)

I'll be happy to suggest a modest addition to
<http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix>
when I have found why my from address was set to
-------------------------------
<tim at localhost.localdomain>  MAIL FROM domain does not exist
-------------------------------
As I have said, I gave my fqdn in every place I can think of.

> Postfix's target audience is not the average joe user but e-mail
> administrators. It is assumed you know some stuff about how smtp e-mail
> works.

I wonder if that is, or should be, any longer the case?
I would have guessed that many, perhaps the majority, of CentOS users
are now running home networks rather than commercial sites.
I realise that RedHat may not be particularly interested in these people,
but I would have thought CentOS should be.

> For simple scenarios, you go to the 'General configuration' bullet
> points. In there you even have standard configuration examples:
>
> http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html
>
> Once you have that figured out, then you can go on to other configs,
> like the content inspection, integration with other data sources,
> performance problems, etc. It does make sense once you approach it with
> an e-mail admin hat on.

I'm not an "email admin" except by necessity.
If in fact it takes say two days of reading to setup postfix
then I would revert to sendmail,
which has been working perfectly for me for years.
(Incidentally, having now setup postfix/amavis/clamd/spamassassin
it does not seem to me to have any advantages - at least in my case -
over sendmail/procmail/spamassassin .
I've been told it is much better, but nobody has told me why.)

But as it happens, two short documents,
<http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix> and
<http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/postfix-smtp-authentication-for-mail-servers/>,
told me everything I needed to set up postfix on a home network.
If I had homed in earlier on these two documents
it would have taken me 20 minutes or less to set it up.

> If what you want is an appliance that handles this stuff but hides it
> all under the hood from you,

I don't; I just want to be able to continue to send and receive email
as I have been able to for years.

> maybe you should be looking at commercial
> offerings like barracuda. It is nothing to be ashamed of to buy stuff
> that works and has support when something goes wrong. Handling e-mail
> for a company without understanding how it works internally can be
> stressing.

As I have said, I am not a company.
I think I run a fairly typical home network,
a setup that I would guess is going to become steadily more popular
as the number of devices on a local network in the average household grows:
laptops, TVs, smart phones, printers, etc.

> Also, the postfix mailing list is the best place to ask postfix questions

I did ask the same two questions on that newsgroup/mailing-list
and got no response.
As you say, it seems to be the haunt of commercial or company email admins.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net