[CentOS] Setting up postfix under CentOS-6

Fri Sep 13 19:50:01 UTC 2013
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

natxo asenjo wrote:

>>> I went to check what you posted there, and I can see the problem with
>>> myhostname:
>>>
>>> myhostname = alfred.gayleard.eu
>>>
>>> but that host does not exist:
>>>
>>> $ host alfred.gayleard.eu
>>> Host alfred.gayleard.eu not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>> ---------------------------
>> [tim at rose ~]$ dig gayleard.eu
>>
>> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
>> gayleard.eu.            3600    IN      A       79.51.59.112
>
> that is the host *gayleard.eu*, not *alfread.gayleard.eu* which
> incidentally was your myhostname declaration.
>
> Do you see the difference? Your host alfred.gayleard.eu does NOT exist.
> And your mx record is mail.gayleard.eu, why don't you use that in your
> myhostname declaration?

alfred.gayleard.eu does exist. It is the name of my server.
/etc/postfix/main.cf asks you for your host name and your domain name.
It does not ask you for your mx record.
If as you imply it actually wants my mx record,
would it not be simpler to ask for that?

Incidentally, that was not the cause of the problem,
as I tried with several entries to myhostname, including gayleard.eu,
and the From address was set to localhost.localdomain in all cases.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net