[CentOS] Old hardware, newer kernels

Thu Sep 19 21:39:38 UTC 2013

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 3:22 PM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>> > I have an old server (old hardware) that's been running 6.4 with
>> > kernel 2.6.32-279.19.1.el6.i686, no problem.  Except, any kernel
>> > update after that causes it not to boot anymore.  All I get is a
>> > blinking cursor on the screen, nothing else.
>> >
>> > Is this the end of this hardware, no more kernel updates after this?
>> >
>> I *think* I remember that i386 hardware's no longer going to be
>> supported, but I thought that was with a 3.x kernel. I could well be
wrong.

>> Do you see the grub line on reboot? If so, delete rhgb and quiet (I hate
>> them, but they're ok for someone who has no clue...), and see what's
>> happening.

> Thanks for the suggestion Mark.  So, I can only read so fast, but a bunch
> of stuff flies by then it stops at the following:
>
> *Switching to clocksource tsc*
>
> And a good while later, this line pops up:
>
> *IPMI BT: timeout in WR_CONSUME [ B_BUSY H_BUSY OEM0 SMS B2H H2B ] 1
> retries left*

Um. Er. On boot, you might check a) the BIOS, and b) if there's any option
to go into the BMC (or whatever they call it), and poke around.

You don't mention what hardware it is. Googling on IPMI BT: timeout in
WR_CONSUME,
I found
<http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/1466/t/19468209.aspx>
and this
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grub/2008-09/msg00014.html>, so I'd
look at grub options on the kernel line.

     mark