[CentOS] scanner only works in su mode

Thu Sep 26 18:43:48 UTC 2013
zGreenfelder <zgreenfelder at gmail.com>

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Michael Hennebry <
hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013, Robert Heller wrote:
>
> > It looks like to use the scanner you need to edit your /etc/group file
> or use
> > the user manager to add yourself to the lp group.
>
> That did not work.
> I ran a separate login to get one that admitted I was in the lp group.
> Applying strace to hp-scan told me that it could not open
> /dev/bus/usb/001/006 for writing.
> Its owner and group are both root.

you could do a script that wrappers all of the setup kinds of stuff,
possibly a script named 'scanner' with lines like

#!/bin/sh

if [ -f /var/tmp/scanner.run ]
  echo sorry, currently running as `cat /var/tmp/scanner.run`
  exit 0
fi
me=`whomai`
echo $me > /var/tmp/scaner.sun
sudo chown $me /dev/bus/usb/001/006 #need appropriate sudo changes to make
this happen, probably
# don't want everyone running chown as root, doubly so for any old device.
#
#this might need some experimentation, perhaps it should just be group
ownership and privs that change
#
#this should probably be much brighter and pull the right path/info/devices
from lsusb, but I don't
#have the hardware, and haven't seen the output.   maybe it's not even
possible?
xsane  #(or whatever scanner program you really want to use)

sleep 3 #give it a little time after the program closes, although I might
just be paranoid
rm /var/tmp/scanner.run

then get all the end users (or possibly just you) into the habit of using
the script ?

--
Even the Magic 8 ball has an opinion on email clients: Outlook not so good.