[CentOS] Creating 38TB ext4 FS

Thu Sep 26 21:27:34 UTC 2013
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

On 2013-09-20, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> for large xfs file systems, be sure to mount with option inode64.

There are a bunch of FAQ entries at the XFS site about this issue.
Here's one of them:

http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_is_the_inode64_mount_option_for.3F

The other issues about using inode64 and NFS are also nearby on the
same page.

So following up on that, I have a question: I have a largish XFS
filesystem which is currently not mounted inode64.  I would like to know
how close I am to filling up the inodes in the first 1TB, so that I know
how urgent it is for me to migrate to inode64.  Does anybody know a way
to query this information out of the filesystem?

> and, a large XFS file system requires quite a bit of RAM to do the
> xfs_check/repair (equiv to fsck)

I have read on the mailing lists that the XFS folks recommend using
xfs_repair -n over xfs_check.  xfs_repair still needs a lot of RAM, but
apparently xfs_check needs much more.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us