[CentOS] erase disk

Thu Sep 26 21:41:50 UTC 2013
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
>  Burn a DBAN disk [....]
>>>

>> Then put the dban disk on the shelf over your desk [...]
Eh, I don't really think dban is necessary.  Probably more than an fdisk
and creating a file system is overkill.

Besides there's gnu shred that would do the job from his running CentOS
system ... hit the secondary drive with random bits or just a pass of zeros.

# one pass random bits, one pass zero
shred -vfz -n1 /dev/<something>

# zeros only
shred -vfz -n0 /dev/<something>

> Then make it available via PXE, though with a DANGER warning in your PXE
> menu :-).

Hehehe. ;)

I have dban on a pxe boot server.
Initially having it there was a bit disconcerting ... more so that a
coworker would stumble upon it.  I hid the option in a separate menu and
did put a warning in the splash message.

Off-Topic:
A coworker of mine modified the dban iso so that it would boot and
auto-nuke (no keyboard) ...
He left that disc in a server he gave to another coworker ... who we
suspect put the disc in a work computer and wiped the drive!  :P