[CentOS] erase disk

Fri Sep 27 13:08:36 UTC 2013
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:11 AM, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> On 09/26/13 18:32, Bret Taylor wrote:
> > Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> wrote:
>
> >> I've never seen the need for a seven-pass randomization. If pressed,
> >> I'd probably agree that a one-pass zeroing is good enough for just
> >> about any situation. Asset retirement isn't a time-sensitive task,
> >> however, so I always use a three-pass randomization before it heads
> >> out the door.
> >
> > You all realize that dban only offers 3 passes, unless you pay for it,

That's only if you just use the "autonuke" option.
Press F[234] to check out the other boot options.

> > right? DBAN is easy, that's why I recommended it.
>
> Um, no. It offers DoD 5220.22-M, which it *says* is seven passes, and I've

There are other dban boot options that offer settings for additional passes
(>7 passes).
A person could also boot to interactive mode and specify a number of passes.

An example from the isolinux.cfg that could be used as a springboard to
concocting one's own wiping recipe.
<snippet>
LABEL  paranoid
KERNEL dban.bzi
APPEND nuke="dwipe --autonuke --method prng --rounds 8 --verify all" silent
</snippet>

> seen that it is. And we normally use a disk until a) it dies, or b) the
> server it's in dies, and then reuse, or, more likely, sits around until we
> consider it too small.... On top of which, I *do* need to guarantee that
> it's clean, as I noted originally. I have *zero* intention of winding up in
> a news story about someone buying an old surplussed server, and finding all
> *sorts* of interesting data on the h/d in it.

At a former place of employment we would simply not leave hard drives in
servers or desktops that were intended to be recycled or junked.  The hard
drives got disposed of separately (in this case crushed with a hydraulic
wedge).