[CentOS] Old HP Xeon server blade with only SCSI HDD ports & CentOS

Fri Apr 11 19:03:37 UTC 2014

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 4/11/2014 11:26 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>> I know what it is for (SAN) but I've never worked with fiberchannel. Can
>> I get SATA ports out of this though some adapter?
>> Like
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-10-Emulex-250-076-900D-SATA-TO-FIBRE-CHANNEL-ADAPTER-/151263868767
>
> FC infrastucture is very expensive, it would be insane to use it to run
> a SATA adapter so you could use a cheap drive.

Yeah. I just recently had to find a couple of HP short (.5m) fibre channel
cables for an older HP dl380 to an HP RAID box, and after *much*
searching, found them for $22 USD each.

>> btw: what is wrong with HP? The pictures are so tiny that they're
>> virtually useless

I'm *really* underwhelmed by HP in general. Lots of proprietary stuff, and
latest is that you can't *get* some updates unless you have a support
contract. Then there was the firmware update that I had to extract from a
self-extracting .exe, and when I finally tried it, it just ran - I'm
spoiled by Dell's firmware updates, that will happily run under CentOS,
*and* give you warm fuzzies (collecting data - this update is, in fact,
for this hardware, and is newer than what you have installed, would you
like to update" before it does the update).
<snip>
         mark