[CentOS] write barrier support in CentOS 6

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Apr 1 03:27:20 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-01, Tom Robinson <tom.robinson at motec.com.au> wrote:
> Now, I understand that Red Hat (and therefore CentOS) backport many upstr=
> eam features into the stock
> kernel so how can I be sure that kernel 2.6.32-431.11.2.el6 has write bar=
> rier support?

I believe you can look through the RHEL tech notes.  Here they are for
6.5:

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html-single/6.5_Technical_Notes/index.html

If you require barriers, you can always use the mainline kernel from
elrepo.  You can read about the mainline and long-term packages here:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-lt

You probably want the kernel-ml packages, but that page doesn't mention
the -lt packages.  Lots of CentOS admins use these kernels (including
me) and are happy with them.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us