[CentOS] Setup a devel environment for perl modules

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com
Tue Apr 1 21:17:10 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 2:50 AM, C. L. Martinez <carlopmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  This is an interesting thread:
>
>  http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2014-April/141871.html
>
>  about the problems you can find building perl modules for CentOS
> releases (new or old).
>
>  I agree with John R. Pierce: cpan is very very bad tool ( in fact, I
> hate it) to build perl modules for CentOS systems, breaks all other
> perl modules. I need to use several perl modules in several servers in
> my dept. and after some tests, I migrate to FreeBSD due to easy
> install perl modules with poudriere suite.
>
>  But, anyone knows if it is possible to build a confident devel
> environment under  CentOS with some tool to build rpm's perl modules
> without breaking anything in CentOS systems??
>
>  Maybe, it is a good idea to create a CentOS Perl SIG :))
>
> Thanks.

Just today I managed to get a modern perl (5.18.2) installed on CentOS 5
using perlbrew.  This gives you a complete perl environment in a private
location where you can install modules without impacting the system perl.
Normally I'm all for using pre-packged RPMs, but the C5 perl is so out of
date that it pays off to do it this way instead.

I ran into an issue with the setup script from the web site, and this seems
to have worked around it:
    Download and run the installer like the docs say:
        curl -kL http://install.perlbrew.pl | bash
    Manually install patchperl
       curl -kL
https://raw.github.com/gugod/patchperl-packing/master/patchperl >
~/perl5/perlbrew/bin/patchperl
       chmod +x ~/perl5/perlbrew/bin/patchperl

Full documentation can be found here:
    http://search.cpan.org/~gugod/App-perlbrew-0.67/lib/App/perlbrew.pm

It doesn't fully integrate into rpm/yum package management, but keeping
everything isolated to a private location might be an acceptable compromise
for your needs.

❧ Brian Mathis