[CentOS] Adding a new disk to an existing raid 10

Tom Robinson tom.robinson at motec.com.au
Tue Apr 1 22:18:00 UTC 2014

On 01/04/14 19:21, Roland RoLaNd wrote:
> Dear all,
> I'm not used to handling software raid.
> I've inherited a server which has raid 10 set.
> one of our disks failed, and it's to be replaced today.
> My question is; any hint how to add this new disk to the existing raid array ?
> first thought is :- Create identical partitions as other disks in the array i'd like to add it to.- add it to raid.
> Though i'm extremely worried of messing things up and wiping all my data.
> Any hint would be appreciated

Remember to set the "Linux raid autodetect" flag (fd) on the partition.

take a look into /proc/mdstat
# cat /proc/mdstat

To adjust the speed of rebuild look here:
/proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_max
/proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_min

You can adjust them by echo-ing a new value directly into them:

# echo 1000000 > /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_max

and make that permanent by setting it in /etc/sysctl.conf

dev.raid.speed_limit_max = 1000000

when you do finally get to rebuilding the array, use 'watch' to monitor the rebuild.

# watch 'cat /proc/mdstat'

Then follow JC's exampled and you should be right.