[CentOS] random crashes

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Apr 2 20:04:10 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2 Apr 2014, John R Pierce wrote:

> I have a server thats been running fine for a year or two lock  up a few
> times recently, requiring power cycling.
>
> The /var/log/messages after a lockup last night is appended to this
> message.
>
> hardware is a pretty typical server, Supermicro X8DTE-F motherboard,
> dual Xeon X5650, 48GB ECC memory, LSI SAS 2008 for the boot disks,
> and LSI MegaRAID SAS 9261-8i for the data volume.  Lots of 3TB disks
> in a raid60.  Primary application is BackupPC v3.3.0 (from EPEL), it
> also has an NFS export (also used for backup purposes).
>
> Runs CentOS 6.latest (kernel 2.6.32-431.11.2.el6.x86_64).  X is not
> loaded (inittab level 3).  selinux is permissive, iptables is not
> loaded.  this server is on a corporate internal network, 1 Intel
> 82574L NIC configured with static IP, 2nd one is not in use.

The lovely Supermicro 82574L bug! There was a similar thread about a
month ago:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2014-March/141348.html

The short answer that's worked for me: Add pcie_aspm=off to your
boot-time kernel options. I've also started running the kmod-e1001e
package from elrepo.org.

Also, if MSI-X isn't already turned off in the BIOS, others have
suggested making sure it is.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com