[CentOS] Centos for Interested Children

Always Learning centos at u62.u22.net
Fri Apr 4 01:01:28 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-04-04 at 10:09 +1000, David Beveridge wrote:

> There is this
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar
>
> based on fedora, for younger children.

Thanks Dave.

But, looking at the initial web page, this is NOT what I believe is
required.

For example, on
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Creating_an_Activity#Overview_of_unique_hardware_environment

------------------

"When you have at least ten lines of code

At this point you are ready to host your code in a repository so that
other developers can look at it. You should also create trac tickets to
track bugs and feature requests. One of the main OLPC communication
systems is through the dev.laptop.org trac page where people can see the
status of activities as releases are prepared, testers can file bug
reports, and translators can submit translations of your activity. You
need to do three things to set this system up:

     1. Request project hosting: You need to fill out an application and
        send it to the devel list (another good reason to join).

--------------

That does not seem to be directed at children, curious children and
children with a desire for inspirational news and information.

Might be OK for them grown-ups. Not so great for CHILDREN.

If the children already know about IP addresses, have some concept of
servers and clients and want to play with making a web site (basic HTML
followed with some CSS), then Sugar is way-off the mark as the Americans
say.

Children, and indeed people, develop at different ages.  I think what is
needed is something like, for example,

> * what is a computer
> * the basis and basics of Linux
> * Centos simply

If a four year old can ask why is the sky blue, and then a 10 year old
already familiar with IPv4 wants to know how he can make a simple web
page, Sugar is not the answer.

Lets give the children something really great, awesome, interesting and
thought provoking.

--
Paul.
England,

   Our systems are exclusively Centos. No Micro$oft Windoze here.