[CentOS] Centos for Interested Children

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 16:58:01 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 4:48 AM, Johan Vermeulen
<jvermeulen at cawdekempen.be>wrote:

> op 04-04-14 03:01, Always Learning schreef:
> > On Fri, 2014-04-04 at 10:09 +1000, David Beveridge wrote:
>  >
> > Children, and indeed people, develop at different ages.  I think what is
> > needed is something like, for example,
> >
> >> * what is a computer
> >> * the basis and basics of Linux
> >> * Centos simply
> > If a four year old can ask why is the sky blue, and then a 10 year old
> > already familiar with IPv4 wants to know how he can make a simple web
> > page, Sugar is not the answer.

Depends on the age group, as you've pointed out.

>  >
> > Lets give the children something really great, awesome, interesting and
> > thought provoking.
> >

> Hello,
>
> I now see that there is a Fedora edu spin in-the-making.
>
>                        http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Education

It is better to support Fedora than to "reinvent the wheel" with an
identical/similar CentOS spin.
The software selection is larger with Fedora than with CentOS.

I would suggest it is best to look at what Fedora is currently doing or
even planning on doing.  See if there's something better or vastly
different that CentOS can offer.

> I can understand why this list is not too warm with the idea of Centos
> for children.
> A lot of people on the list are trained professionals who are
> responsible for critical systems.

Yep.

> No doubt everyone would gladly promote Centos, but probably and
> understandably, most are short on free time.
>
> No reason to reïnvent the wheel . Let's find out how the Fedora project
> is doing.

+1

--
---~~.~~---
Mike

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 4:48 AM, Johan Vermeulen
<jvermeulen at cawdekempen.be>wrote:

> op 04-04-14 03:01, Always Learning schreef:
> > On Fri, 2014-04-04 at 10:09 +1000, David Beveridge wrote:
> >
> >> There is this
> >>
> >> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar
> >>
> >> based on fedora, for younger children.
> > Thanks Dave.
> >
> > But, looking at the initial web page, this is NOT what I believe is
> > required.
> >
> > For example, on
> >
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Creating_an_Activity#Overview_of_unique_hardware_environment
> >
> > ------------------
> >
> > "When you have at least ten lines of code
> >
> > At this point you are ready to host your code in a repository so that
> > other developers can look at it. You should also create trac tickets to
> > track bugs and feature requests. One of the main OLPC communication
> > systems is through the dev.laptop.org trac page where people can see the
> > status of activities as releases are prepared, testers can file bug
> > reports, and translators can submit translations of your activity. You
> > need to do three things to set this system up:
> >
> >       1. Request project hosting: You need to fill out an application and
> >          send it to the devel list (another good reason to join).
> >

> > --------------
> >

> > That does not seem to be directed at children, curious children and
> > children with a desire for inspirational news and information.
> >
> > Might be OK for them grown-ups. Not so great for CHILDREN.
> >
> > If the children already know about IP addresses, have some concept of
> > servers and clients and want to play with making a web site (basic HTML
> > followed with some CSS), then Sugar is way-off the mark as the Americans
> > say.
> >
> > Children, and indeed people, develop at different ages.  I think what is
> > needed is something like, for example,
> >
> >> * what is a computer
> >> * the basis and basics of Linux
> >> * Centos simply
> > If a four year old can ask why is the sky blue, and then a 10 year old
> > already familiar with IPv4 wants to know how he can make a simple web
> > page, Sugar is not the answer.
> >
> > Lets give the children something really great, awesome, interesting and
> > thought provoking.
> >

> Hello,
>
> I now see that there is a Fedora edu spin in-the-making.
>
>                        http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Education
>
> I can understand why this list is not too warm with the idea of Centos
> for children.
> A lot of people on the list are trained professionals who are
> responsible for critical systems.
> No doubt everyone would gladly promote Centos, but probably and
> understandably, most are short on free time.
>
> No reason to reïnvent the wheel . Let's find out how the Fedora project
> is doing.
>
> Friendly regards, J.

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //