[CentOS] HDD Problem....

Richer, Mark (CIV) mhricher at nps.edu
Sun Apr 6 20:13:11 UTC 2014

Generally it's better to connect the bare metal drive to an internal SATA connection to run smartctl. If the short test results are good, run. The long test. There are versions of smartctl for various OSes but you can also boot from any optical or USB media that has smartctl on it or can be downloaded to it (e.g. I have done this with a Fedora livecd and then installed the tools.)

Mark

MARK H RICHER, MS CS
NPS-NCR Digital Forensics Lab IT Manager
Computer Science Department
Naval Postgraduate School - National Capital Region (NCR)
900 N Glebe Rd, Rm<x-apple-data-detectors://21> 5-182, Arlington, VA 22203
571.858.3254<tel:571.858.3254> (o) 571.303.9498<tel:571.303.9498> (m)mhricher at nps.edu<mailto:mhricher at nps.edu>