[CentOS] Problem running yum update command

Darr247 darr247 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 18:46:59 UTC 2014

On 08 April 2014 @00:34 zulu, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Apr 2014 20:27:17 -0400
> H wrote:
>
>> rpm --rebuilddb:
>>
>> rpmdb: unable to join the environment
> When I run that error message through google, this is the very first result:
>
> http://sysadmingear.blogspot.ca/2008/08/how-to-fix-rpmdb-unable-to-join.html

In case that blog site goes down in the future and you found this list's
archives in google, the recommended fix there is deleting any files
locking the RPM database.
e.g.
# rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*

Or, from user level
$ sudo rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
or
$ su -c rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*

Then use the rpm --rebuilddb command again to rebuild the database,
which could have been corrupted during the same crash that left the
(typically zero-byte) semaphore file[s] as detritus.