[CentOS] Old HP Xeon server blade with only SCSI HDD ports & CentOS

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 18:59:32 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Unless you need the space-heater functionality it is hard to beat a VM
>> for the experimental stages of anything. Generally you can just
>> download an iso image to the host, map the file as the guest DVD, and
>> boot into whatever you want.
>>

> Yes, I use Virtualbox on my AMD Opteron box because of its AMD-V support
> since it makes virtualization faster..
> Oh, I get what you mean now. Continued 24/7 use of the blades will hit my
> power bill whereas the AMD-V Opteron is more power efficient. Got it. :)

Yes - maintaining old junk might have been worth it (and sometimes
fun...)  when computing power was expensive, but now it is going to
cost you both time and money to keep it compared to using something
current.   And don't forget that besides the direct power consumption
you'll also pay to air-condition that extra heat away if you run it it
the summer.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com