[CentOS] Old HP Xeon server blade with only SCSI HDD ports & CentOS

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 01:13:21 UTC 2014

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 7:33 PM, eoconnor25 at gmail.com
<eoconnor25 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Why would it uhh ave been tossed in the first place?...

I imagine it was something like: UW SCSI devices are nowhere to be found on
the local market -which I've been able to confirm by doing a simple search
on local auctions site and eBay wannabe mercadolibre-.

Probably their HDDs died and they asked for a quote to the local HP branch
and found the price quoted unacceptable (surely the local HP branch is
stocked on those drives, but being scarce and expensive to import on
demand, they surely save them to high-value customers with hardware
maintenance and support contracts... so if you're one of those high value
customers, surely you get replacement UWSCSI drives, if you're a tiny shop
maybe you're told "sorry, we don't have any"). But I'm just guessing,
painting a possible scenario.

Plus, importing used ones from eBay, which would have been the normal route
in this case, is, well, increasingly difficult down here. It´s hard to
explain the rationale of the irrational =>
www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-25836208

Or perhaps someone got a kickback for buying a new server so the old one
NEEDED to be deemed obsolete. The awful truth about the realities of this
world. Follow the money. A third possibility is "new admin doesn't have a
clue about the old kit, so he wants to get rid of it so he can buy
something simpler he does understand, and since he's the "expert" in charge
and nobody knows better -read the book "Peter's principle"-, they take his
word as gospel."

Of course I'm not accusing anyone of anything, just thinking aloud of
possible scenarios :).

I'm just happy of finding some nice kit for $0. ;)

Dumpster diving is a common practice, I do it often. I've been able to find
nice stepper motors and power supplies from tossed inkjet and laser
printers, for instance.

Dumpster Diving: beware, it's an addiction ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXg5MdYMbHs
FC
act
- George Orwell