[CentOS] Death of dyndns

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Apr 13 10:16:56 UTC 2014

KevinO wrote:

>> I would like the server with a dynamic IP address
>> to be accessible through a fixed name.
>>
> Setup an authoritative DNS server on the server that has a fixed IP
> address to host records for the site(s) on the server that has a dynamic
> IP address.
>
> Create a local scheme (such as a script, etc.) to periodically determine
> the current dynamic IP address and keep the records on the DNS server
> correct. You'll want to set the TTL (of the records) to a low value so
> caching name servers will update the information fairly often.

But would this "home" DNS server provide records accessible to others?
If in fact it is straightforward surely it must be set out
explicitly somewhere?

Incidentally, I do already check every 15 minutes if the IP address
of the dynamic-address server has changed - it changes every few days -
and if it has the remote server sends me email.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net