[CentOS] Death of dyndns

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Mon Apr 14 13:54:35 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 01:42:07PM +0000, David G. Miller wrote:
> Interesting.  I had to have my ISP add a C record to their DNS for my fixed
> IP address before most of my e-mails were accepted.  I recently also had to
> add an SPF (sender policy framework) record on my DNS to get my e-mails
> accepted bu gmail.  You could try to manage the SPF record the same way you
> do other dynamic IP address records but there was a couple of day lag before
> gmail accepted it when I put it in place.

Right.  Here you're not running into a dynamic DNS issue (xxx.my.domain
isn't involved) but into other policy questions (eg RBLs that block
dynamic IPs; SPF policies).  Pretty much sending email from a dynamic IP
is going to be problematic at best.  (Even worse when ISPs like Verizon
and Comcast block outgoing port 25).

For outgoing email you either have to go through your ISP's relay or run
your own relay (I have a linode for this, and have my home machines send
via my linode, to take dynamic IPs out of the equation).

--

rgds
Stephen