[CentOS] CentOS 6 mount of ntfs formatted usb stick fails

Russell Miller duskglow at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 02:42:41 UTC 2014

On Apr 14, 2014, at 7:23 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> On 4/14/2014 6:06 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
>> I recently received an 8GB usb stick that fails to mount on my fully
>> patched CentOS 6.5 desktop machine.
>>
>> The stick works just fine on a windoze 7 laptop (my daughter's) with
>> no special drivers installed.
>
> most USB sticks are formatted FAT32

Also keep in mind that the partition type is only a *hint*.  It's just a flag that's set in the partition.  What is actually in the partition does not need to match what is on the disk.

Some utilities will use it for autodetection purposes, etc., and some will completely ignore it and blindly do whatever you ask.

"file" is a good tool to find out what's actually on the partition.

--Russell