[CentOS] Old HP Xeon server blade with only SCSI HDD ports & CentOS

Christian Freund freund at wrz.de
Tue Apr 15 09:17:40 UTC 2014

Hi Les,

we did that this winter in another floor and replaced a complete
server-room, containing several Racks full of 1850/1950/2850/2950/R310,
except the least all with 2 or more local SCSI-disks and dual power-supply.

All that now runs in a virtualized environment on 2+1 R720; we now have 3
R720 replacing 4 racks in another room. This means no air-conditioning, UPS,
switches there. Allover it is an average  of 31KW lower power-consumption.

Now calculating the hardware cost: 60K EUR for servers, storage-upgrade and
licenses, and saving 262MWh or 52K EUR per year. So after 14 month of
operation the energy-saving pays the hardware. Not speaking of the allover
TCO including lower staff-costs and maintenance for the bigger amount of
hardware now off.

mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christian Freund
Christian Freund - freund at wrz.de