[CentOS] CentOS 6 mount of ntfs formatted usb stick fails

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Wed Apr 16 06:26:40 UTC 2014

On 04/15/2014 02:42 PM, Russell Miller wrote:
> On Apr 14, 2014, at 7:23 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/14/2014 6:06 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
>>> I recently received an 8GB usb stick that fails to mount on my fully
>>> patched CentOS 6.5 desktop machine.
>>>
>>> The stick works just fine on a windoze 7 laptop (my daughter's) with
>>> no special drivers installed.
>> most USB sticks are formatted FAT32
>>
> Also keep in mind that the partition type is only a *hint*.  It's just a flag that's set in the partition.  What is actually in the partition does not need to match what is on the disk.
>
> Some utilities will use it for autodetection purposes, etc., and some will completely ignore it and blindly do whatever you ask.
>
> "file" is a good tool to find out what's actually on the partition.
tried VFAT, NTFS, HFS HFSPLUS MSDOS - all gave error messages

& USBFS
the usbfs did mount and gave me seven directories named 001 through 007
and one file called "devices" - this in no way resembles what is
actually on the usb drive.

file when applied /dev/sdf/(1) indicted a block device - nothing else
helpful.

I guess there is thus a new ntfs format out there that ntfs-3g does not
recognise.
Any other way to read / deal with this??