[CentOS] Motion Detecting Camera

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Apr 21 12:10:51 UTC 2014

On 04/21/14 00:47, Nathan Duehr wrote:
> On Mar 11, 2014, at 6:09 AM, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>>> So if he "wants to be out of the business", why is he having you spec
>>> the solution?
>>>
>>> Call a security company and tell them what you want, and they'll send
>>> the bill and they'll be "in the business"... LOL!
>>>
>>> Sorry, just thought your boss sounds as silly as mine...
>>
>> My boss is *very* reasonable. You didn't read the post. A "security"
>> company would need clearance to even walk into the room (we actually care
>> about the security of PII and HIPAA data). And that would add a *LOT* to
>> the division budget. Sorry, were you offering to pay more in taxes (if
>> you're in the US) every year, and tell them where you were donating more
>> money?
>>
>> The business he's talking about is this every year, year and a half of
>> me wasting a lot of time figuring out workarounds for ancient webcams and
>> bugs that keep returning....
>
> (Sorry for reviving an old thread, but ... )
>
> Apologies Mark, I just thought it entertaining.
>
> As far as paying more in taxes, not sure what the point is... there's no
> correlation between spending and income anymore.

I should note that I'm an employee of a US federal gov't contractor, thus the
tax dollars at work.

> Anyway, hope you found a good solution.

Yeah, we wound up buying a capture card from a company called bluecherry - a
true 4-port card (w/ four chips), BNC, and some inexpensive dome cameras -
they cater to the surveillance market, and plugged it all in, and voila,
video, and once I figured out the setting for motion, it all just worked.

	mark