[CentOS] Samba4 questions

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue Apr 22 18:33:09 UTC 2014

On 4/22/2014 2:13 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 9:07 AM, Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure why I need that. As I stated, I'm a little new to Samba and
>> AD. For some reason, my research suggests that to get AD, I need Samba 4.
>>
> Do you want to replace AD or just interoperate with a Microsoft AD?
> Samba 3 will do the latter.

I'll tell you what we've got now, and how the new stuff will be used.
I'm definitely not a windows type guy, and windows domains are confusing
as H*** to me.

With our current netware:

We have 3 "domains". They're really not domains but we have 3 separate
companies here. Based on the netware logins, you get certain volumes
mapped to windows drives. The netware login scripts do the mapping. We
have opted not to get a new Windows Server and whatever Netware is now.

So I guess from the Samba standpoint, the volumes are shares. This
netware guy wants the ability to add new users to a "domain" that will
have common mappings, and all the other stuff like specific printers
attached. When the new user/machine is configured, the Windows domain is
specified as well for that user.

Now understand, I don't speak windows domains, and all I've researched
about Samba and what he's wanting to do sort of points to a Samba AD DC
to accomplish this. I've only created individual shares using Samba and
mounted those shares manually to a windows machine. That all works great
(on Windows 7, XP requires a remount during every boot up).

The best thing I can come up with for now is to install Samba on a
machine and see how far I can get with a test Windows machine.

My original post was about the Samba rpms that come with Centos, and I
think I got the answer that it's not fully complete due to copyright
infringements.

Thanks for all the help. One day I hope it all makes sense.

steve