[CentOS] Samba4 questions

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Apr 22 21:10:34 UTC 2014

On 4/22/2014 1:31 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Alain Péan<alain.pean at lpn.cnrs.fr>  wrote:
>>> >>
>> >Thanks for the information. Samba 4 domains are a very different beast
>> >than samba 3.x ones (NT4 style). A samba 4 (AD style) includes its own
>> >DNS, its own LDAP etc...
> A lot of which is irrelevant if you just have one server, serving file shares.

active directory is relevant if you have more than a couple users,
logging into desktop Windows machines, who want to connect to your server.

without that, you get to muck about with smbpasswd on a per user basis
on the samba server, and their desktop passwords and smbpasswords are
never in sync.

with active directory, you can manage the user access from a central
location, and potentially manage desktop policies (security policies,
login scripts, etc etc), even push application software installs via
GPO's.   note I said potentially as I don't know how much GPO support
Samba4's AD implementation has.