[CentOS] Samba4 questions

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 21:25:59 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 4:10 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

>> A lot of which is irrelevant if you just have one server, serving file shares.
>
> active directory is relevant if you have more than a couple users,
> logging into desktop Windows machines, who want to connect to your server.
>
> without that, you get to muck about with smbpasswd on a per user basis
> on the samba server, and their desktop passwords and smbpasswords are
> never in sync.

I never actually used it that way, but I thought that you were
supposed to be able to change your password from windows when using
samba as a domain (not AD) controller.  And there was some support for
making that change your linux password to match.

> with active directory, you can manage the user access from a central
> location, and potentially manage desktop policies (security policies,
> login scripts, etc etc), even push application software installs via
> GPO's.   note I said potentially as I don't know how much GPO support
> Samba4's AD implementation has.

You could also use samba with LDAP accounts.  ClearOS might make that
work out of the box but otherwise it is painful to set up.   But going
forward, finding a packaged samba4 that works is probably the best
approach.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com