[CentOS] [OT] how do I remove a battery

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 25 01:16:51 UTC 2014

On 04/25/14 05:34, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2014, g wrote:
>
>>    http://www.componex-electronics.com/files/BatteryHolderCR2032.jpg
>>
>> from which i got a firm understanding of mechanics of holder.
>>
>> next i found another link to a pic of above holder mounted
>> to a pcb that gives better understanding of how tab locates
>> to battery;
>>

>> http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/img/battery_upright.jpg
>>
>> from this, i how can see how tab is moved in direction of
>> battery + side to allow battery removal.
>>
>> so, does all this confirm what you found?
>
> Yes.
> .../battery_upright.jpg depicts precisely the kind of holder I have.
> For some reason, I never thought to include holder in my search.

my first searches included msi pcb model along with 'cmos battery
holder'.

first hits where in millions when i used 'msi' and pbc model,
i was getting too many false hits, even with negating bad hit
words, i only dropped hits to 100k's.

dropping the make and model was the key as that got 1k's of
hit. further negating words from bad hits dropped to 1k's of
hits.

by dropping words 'remove' and 'howto' and then using just
'cmos battery holder' returned 182 hits and with more negating,
"blekko.com" kept showing and that is what lead to finding
what i did.

something i have found thru many years many years of web
searching and using;

    ixquick.com/eng/advanced-search.html

is that a little playing with "-" / "+" of words and along
with a lot of perseverance, one will usually find what one
is looking for. ;-)

then again, had you called MSI from start, you would have had
you answer much easier. ((GBWG))

anyway, glad you have your battery changed.

something i will suggest, being that you pulled cell from
a dead board, consider getting another cell.

then, wrap cell and package it is in with 'saran wrap', squeeze
out as much a possible, then wrap with aluminum foil. place in
freezer and it will be waiting for you when you need it. do
allow 12 - 16 hours for warm up before using.

i have kept batteries and cells in freezer for over 10 years and
they still give over 1 year 'shelf life' service. i do not
recommend doing such with "silicone" batteries', aka, "gel cell"
batteries.

also, when you change a cmos cell, you may do so with power
supply turned on to preserve cmos settings.

--

peace out.

tc.hago.

.