[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Apr 29 19:17:09 UTC 2014

Steve Clark wrote:
> On 04/29/2014 02:22 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
>> On 04/28/2014 06:19 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>> Is this an impromptu poll? I think we had one for NM ("it's so much
>>> better in fedora, it was reworked..."), and everyone else, if it's not
>>> a laptop, wants it to Go Away. But will they listen to us?
>> The answer is found in the package set for RHEL7.  The time to have
>> voted has long past, and was in the Fedora train.  NM is and will be in
>> EL7, and it will be there for ten years, if RH keeps to its support
>> schedule. They won't pull it after the RC.
>>
>> At least in EL6 you can in fact yum remove NM without it taking your
>> whole system away.  I haven't tried on EL7.
>>
>> But, I also haven't had any issues with NetworkManager in my use cases,
>> which includes much more than just laptops.  I also am aware that others
>> have had issues, particularly with bridging and bonding.
>>
>         "The  NetworkManager  daemon attempts to make  networking
> configuration and operation as pain-less and automatic as possible
> by managing the primary network connection and  other  network
> interfaces,  like  Ethernet, WiFi, and Mobile Broadband devices.
> NetworkManager will connect any network device when a connection for
> that device becomes available, unless that  behavior is  disabled.
> Information  about networking is exported via a D-Bus interface to
> any interested application, providing a rich API with which to inspect and
> control  network  settings and operation."
>
> This may be fine for users that don't know what they are doing or don't
> have a stable networking environment,
> but I have found for me it causes nothing but heartache. The first thing I
> do is disable it.
>
> The sad part is that it makes us not understand what is really happening
> with our systems and when something doesn't work we have no idea where
to look.

For one thing, if we're not active on the fedora lists, then we have no
vote, it sounds like. And IMO, a lot of fedora folks are desktop folks,
and thinking, perhaps, of competing with ubuntu.

I think upstream might consider, esp. that we're now a "partner", talking
to *us*. I mean, this is an ENTERPRISE o/s, and that means, heavily,
*servers*, and does anyone actually use wireless, or anything other than
hardwired, for a server?

     mark