[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Apr 29 20:15:24 UTC 2014

Warren Young wrote:
> On 4/29/2014 13:17, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>> I mean, this is an ENTERPRISE o/s, and that means, heavily,
>> *servers*, and does anyone actually use wireless, or anything other than
>> hardwired, for a server?
>
> I think you're setting up false dichotomies here.  It isn't about
> desktop vs server, or WiFi vs wired.
>
> First, both CentOS and Ubuntu have server and desktop focused variants.
<snip>
> Back in the days when Big Iron Unix was the biggest piece of the market,
> the very thing being complained about in this thread would have been
> touted as a great feature over inflexible desktop OSes.  Multipath I/O,
> hot-swap disk controllers, NIC failover, etc. all happened in that world
> first.  Is dynamic networking any different, really?

Yes. There are a lot of servers that *require* special setups - think of
h/a failover systems, or, as someone mentioned, systems with multiple
ports, and some of those are on/feed internal subnets. I can't see how NM
can do other than mangle that.

> [1] RHEL 7 is apparently going to come out in 4-6 separate editions.
> See [http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=08406 The article only talks about
> three of the editions, but I've also noticed mention elsewhere of
> Compute Node, Atomic Host, and Guest editions.  I don't know if that's
> really 6 separate versions, or if I, too, am making distinctions where
> there are none.

I didn't see anything about "computer node", etc. Guest, I would assume,
are for kiosk-type setups. Compute node... it automatically detects a
GPU(s)? It comes with PBS/Torque installed? Fuse? Gluster? Ready to be
joined to a cluster? I'd like to see what their definition of "compute
node" is....

But thanks very much for the link - I didn't know that RC 7 is out this
week....

        mark