[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Apr 30 17:17:58 UTC 2014

On 04/30/2014 11:03 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> You forgot to mention interoperable along with effective and complete.

No, I didn't forget it.

>> Dynamic DNS and/or mDNS with associated addresses deals with the need
>> for a static IP;
> Is that secure?

Dynamic DNS can be, yes.  It depends upon the way the zone file is
updated and whether it's Internet-exposed on not.

If we're relying on mDNS we're probably disconnected.

But you've been around long enough to know that security and convenience
are inversely proportional.

> Is [the SRV DNS record] a standard that is universal?

RFC 2782.  Becoming more common, and very common for VoIP networks using
SIP.

> You just pushed the management somewhere else - you didn't eliminate it.

Why yes, yes I did push the management elsewhere.  If you have a hundred
thousand cloud nodes, where would you rather manage them; at the
individual node level, or in a centralized manner?  Go to a cloud panel,
select 'deploy development PostgreSQL server' and a bit later connect to
it and get to work.  (Yes, I know you need AAA and all kinds of other
things, but for the application developer who needs a clean sandbox to
test something, being able to roll a clean temp server out without admin
intervention could be very useful).

> Your argument makes sense for devices that don't provide a reasonable
> interface for their own configuration. But how does that apply to a
> server with a full Linux distribution?

Embedded devices, with what I would consider to be full Linux
distributions on them, with nothing more than a network device to manage
them already exist.  Network device meaning Wi Fi, too.  NAS appliances
are but one application; the WD MyBook Live, for instance, has a
complete non-GUI Debian on it, and there are repos for various packages
(for grins and giggles I installed IRAF on one, and ran it with ssh X
forwarding to my laptop).  Is a NAS appliance not a server?