[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Apr 30 17:57:35 UTC 2014

On 04/30/2014 10:57 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I agree that WiFi networking is difficult, but ethernet networking, in
> my experience, is 99.9% stable.

Sure is; but we do bonding for a reason.

> I wish NM would just stick to WiFi.

There are other interfaces, like various VPN's and WWAN cards, where
NM's notion that non-bootup connections belong to users is a useful thing.
> I haven't come across any documents that explain clearly
> how NM is meant to be working, or eg what documents it is reading.

The upstream documentation has some info; the man pages (nm-applet(1),
nm-connection-editor(1), nm-online(1), nm-tool(1), nmcli(1),
NetworkManager.conf(5), nm-system-settings.conf(5), and
NetworkManager(8) all have useful information.  I'm sure it could be
improved, but so far it's been useful to me.  I should probably edit my
initial sentence to 'NetworkManage is fairly well documented' instead, I
guess.

> I find the NM messages on /var/log/messages ludicrously verbose; and
> even after wading through these messages it is difficult to determine
> exactly what is wrong. In my view NM should spend a little time trying
> to make these messages more helpful.
Agreed.  They're almost as opaque as SELinux avc denials.