[CentOS] Samba4 questions

Fri Apr 18 15:49:09 UTC 2014
Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com>

I'm a little new to Samba when used as more than just a simple place to
mount a single user to a single share, but we're now getting ready to
replace our Netware servers with Samba, and I guess that means Active
Directory DC.

As I read more and more about this beast, I keep finding pages that
indicate the samba4 rpms supplied with the Centos/RH distribution are
not the full version and that I should get them from either samba.org or
certain other sources that provide complete versions. These pages are a
little dated, but not that old.

Can anyone provide insight into what they've done in this situation and
whether the samba rpms are now full versions? Most of what I have found
on the web is dated around when samba4 just came out of beta through a
little later.

There doesn't seem to be much documentation on this subject on the web
or through Amazon, so half of my time is spent searching instead of
reading. A good source for reading would be appreciated as well. I can
find plenty examples, just not definitive manuals.

steve campbell