[CentOS] Setup a devel environment for perl modules

Tue Apr 1 22:16:14 UTC 2014
Gary Greene <ggreene at minervanetworks.com>

On Apr 1, 2014, at 2:52 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 4:27 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>>>
>>> I ran into an issue with the setup script from the web site, and this
>>> seems to have worked around it:
>> <snip>
>> Right. And, um, don't forget to update that local userspace perl, and its
>> modules regularly. And don't wait for the notice of updates or security or
>> bugfixes, since there aren't any....
>>

> I wonder if there could be a way to build a 'userspace' version of
> fedora/ubuntu or something with faster updates where the entire thing
> lives in its own path with machine-processed package updates to keep
> it there.  That is, use some other distro's work for the overall
> internal consistency and dependency management but don't let it break
> your system stability when you just need to run that one package that
> needs a newer library/module than CentOS/EPEL provide.  It seems like
> there should be a more lightweight way to do that than running a whole
> virtual machine.  Maybe the concept for RHEL software collections
> could be generalized to handle any disto's rpm/deb repos in their own
> area.

This would be possible with a form of containers. The problem I recall from looking at LXC, et el was that it uses the host system’s kernel, which would be either too old or too new depending on how you set up the container....

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sr. Systems Administrator