[CentOS] Centos for Interested Children

Fri Apr 4 08:48:14 UTC 2014
Johan Vermeulen <jvermeulen at cawdekempen.be>

op 04-04-14 03:01, Always Learning schreef:
> On Fri, 2014-04-04 at 10:09 +1000, David Beveridge wrote:
>
>> There is this
>>
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar
>>
>> based on fedora, for younger children.
> Thanks Dave.
>
> But, looking at the initial web page, this is NOT what I believe is
> required.
>
> For example, on
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Creating_an_Activity#Overview_of_unique_hardware_environment
>
> ------------------
>
> "When you have at least ten lines of code
>
> At this point you are ready to host your code in a repository so that
> other developers can look at it. You should also create trac tickets to
> track bugs and feature requests. One of the main OLPC communication
> systems is through the dev.laptop.org trac page where people can see the
> status of activities as releases are prepared, testers can file bug
> reports, and translators can submit translations of your activity. You
> need to do three things to set this system up:
>
>       1. Request project hosting: You need to fill out an application and
>          send it to the devel list (another good reason to join).
>

> --------------
>

> That does not seem to be directed at children, curious children and
> children with a desire for inspirational news and information.
>
> Might be OK for them grown-ups. Not so great for CHILDREN.
>
> If the children already know about IP addresses, have some concept of
> servers and clients and want to play with making a web site (basic HTML
> followed with some CSS), then Sugar is way-off the mark as the Americans
> say.
>
> Children, and indeed people, develop at different ages.  I think what is
> needed is something like, for example,
>
>> * what is a computer
>> * the basis and basics of Linux
>> * Centos simply
> If a four year old can ask why is the sky blue, and then a 10 year old
> already familiar with IPv4 wants to know how he can make a simple web
> page, Sugar is not the answer.
>
> Lets give the children something really great, awesome, interesting and
> thought provoking.

Hello,

I now see that there is a Fedora edu spin in-the-making.

                       http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Education

I can understand why this list is not too warm with the idea of Centos
for children.
A lot of people on the list are trained professionals who are
responsible for critical systems.
No doubt everyone would gladly promote Centos, but probably and
understandably, most are short on free time.

No reason to reïnvent the wheel . Let's find out how the Fedora project
is doing.

Friendly regards, J.