[CentOS] {CentOS} HDD Problem....

Mon Apr 7 16:26:23 UTC 2014
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 6:05 AM, John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Eddie O'Connor <eoconnor25 at gmail.com>
>
> > Ok....so after installing "smartmontools" on my CentOS machine...and
> > connectiing this drive externally...i got positive reports from both the
> > short and long tests...so the drive can obviously be "seen"....but
> > when I
> > look for it in the /dev/ directory...it doesn't show up.....I'm about to

Take a look at the kernel ring buffer using dmesg when attaching the drive.

dmesg | tail

As you've noted, connecting the drive to an internal SATA port makes the
drive be detected (you can run the smartmontools against it).

> > give the fdisk command line tools anonther shot....it allows me to format
> > the drive...and to give it a file system...(ext4)....but it doesn't
> > automaticcaly mount, nor can I format the drive using the Disk Utility in

This is a disk added post-install, so you'll need to manually add the
device to /etc/fstab.  There might be a gui for modifying fstab, but I
don't use one.

> > CEntOS.....I'm going to give D.B.A.N one more try since I was able to
> > format it from the smartctl command line....hopefully it will "clear"
> > whaever is locked up.

Maybe some partition on that is auto-mounted?
( Or _unlikely_ software raid metadata? )

Check using the 'mount' command.

> Is it USB powered?  If so, maybe try another USB port...
> Did you check /var/log/messages for detection messages?

Unless the syslog daemon is set to log the kernel ring buffer to
/var/log/messages, it won't make its way to the messages file.

--
Mike