[CentOS] USB 3.0 NIC / Sitecom NL-031

Tue Apr 8 13:41:53 UTC 2014
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 07/04/14 17:31, SilverTip257 wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 7:09 PM, Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 06/04/14 13:32, Ned Slider wrote:
>>> On 05/04/14 19:28, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>

>>> ELRepo does have a kmod-asix driver for el6, but it was backported from
>>> kernel-3.2 and does not support this device.
>>>
>>> This is a newer USB3 device, and support was only added to the asix
>>> driver in kernel-3.10. Unfortunately it's not trivial for me to backport
>>> that driver from kernel-3.10 to el6 so you would need to use a kernel >=
>>> 3.10.
>>>

>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> After a bit of further investigation, I have managed to backport the
>> driver for your device from kernel-3.10 for you.
>>
>> It's called kmod-ax88179_178a and is in the elrepo testing repository
>> for el6. You can find it here:
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/linux/testing/el6/
>>
>> I would appreciate if you could let me know how it works for you,
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>

> I'm not the OP, but I'd like to say thanks.
>
> I bought a spare USB dongle with the newer ASIX chipset as an "emergency"
> item for my toolkit.
> Last I tried, the drivers weren't present on a number of distros.
>   Supposedly support was added after 3.2 ML kernel, but I have to wonder
> (given Debian is at 3.2.x and support was lacking).
>
> This rekindled my interest and I'll have to test this all out some evening.
>
> Thanks Ned, et al.
> :-D

No problem Mike - it gave me something to do on a wet Sunday afternoon!

I'd really appreciate feedback if it works for you. As you will
understand, it's not possible to test without access to the physical
hardware.

On a wider note - this is why the ELRepo project exists. If you have
unsupported hardware, just ask (preferably at http://elrepo.org/bugs or
on the elrepo mailing list) and we will be happy to investigate if it is
possible to backport an updated/newer driver for your hardware. It's
what we do :-)