[CentOS] Problem running yum update command

Tue Apr 8 18:59:43 UTC 2014
Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org>

On 04/05/2014 08:46 PM, H wrote:
> I am running CentOS 6.5 in a VZ container and today when I wanted to run
> yum update command I receive the following error messages:
>
> rpmdb: unable to join the environment
> error: db3 error(11) from dbenv->open: Resource temporarily unavailable
> error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Resource temporarily
> unavailable (11)
> error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
> CRITICAL:yum.main:

We have in the past seen openvz containers with thread restrictions
which prevent yum/rpm from functioning properly. If the host is
implementing a thread limit it's entirely possible that this is the
cause, as yum and rpm start quite a few threads.

--
Jim Perrin