[CentOS] Error occurs when build kernel 3.2.0

Wed Apr 9 10:24:10 UTC 2014
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 04/09/2014 03:56 AM, 李欣 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Please let me know if this is not the right place to ask this question.
>
> I was trying to compile and build kernel 3.2.0, by following <Linux
> Administration - A Beginner's Guide> written by Wale Soyinka.
>
> Error occurs after running the following command:
>
>     # new-kernel-pkg -v --mkinitrd --depmod --install 3.2.0-custom
>     initrdfile is /boot/initrd-3.2.0-custom.img
>     running depmod for 3.2.0-custom
>     creating initrd: /sbin/mkinitrd --allow-missing -f
>     /boot/initrd-3.2.0-custom.img 3.2.0-custom
>     found /boot/initrd-3.2.0-custom.img and using it with grubby
>     adding 3.2.0-custom to /boot/grub/grub.conf
>     /etc/lilo.conf does not exist, not running grubby
>
> Does anyone ever run into this? How can I fix it?
>
> Here is the link that I downloaded kernel from:
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v3.x/linux-3.2.tar.bz2
>
>     # uname -a
>     Linux test_server 2.6.32-431.11.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 25
>     19:59:55 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
>     # cat /etc/redhat-release
>     CentOS release 6.5 (Final)
>
> Please let me know if any other information is needed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Xin Li

That method is not how to install kernels on CentOS ... CentOS uses RPMs
for the kernel and here is how you would build one:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel

However, there is very rarely a need for one to build their own custom
kernel. If you really want a different kernel that is newer than the one
in CentOS, ELRepo (http://www.elrepo.com) has a kernel-lt (long term
kernel from kernel.org) and kernel-ml (main line kernel from kernel.org)
... and there is also a CentOS produced 3.10.x kernel in the Xen4CentOS
repository.

If you want to learn how to create a new kernel as a learning exercise,
the wiki link will help that, otherwise I would use one where a known
and trusted entity is maintaining it secure.