[CentOS] Old HP Xeon server blade with only SCSI HDD ports & CentOS

Fri Apr 11 09:27:09 UTC 2014
Christian Freund <freund at wrz.de>

Hello Fernando,

This drive-technology was replaced 7 years ago and the cpu's are that old as well.

Better buy some 1HE Servers with an actual i3 and 500GB SATA-HDD for less than the price of an old LVD-UW-SCSI drive. With these old blades you just have excessive power-consumption, heat, low performance.
We had hundreds of these old drives from storages and DMZ-servers with R1, but because of security agreements they were all shreddered. I am afraid most people that used a lot of such expensive disks have some "keep your disk" agreement and destroy them.

You can always boot your system from a stick and mount your root-fs from storage. That is a standard procedure for many virtualization-setups and DMZ-proxy/fastcgi.

mit freundlichen Grüßen
Christian Freund
Christian Freund - freund at wrz.de

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] Im Auftrag von Fernando Cassia
Gesendet: Freitag, 11. April 2014 04:10
An: CentOS mailing list
Betreff: [CentOS] Old HP Xeon server blade with only SCSI HDD ports & CentOS

Hi there.

I got myself a pair of old Intel Xeon blades, which I plan to repurpose with CentOS.
The model is : HP bl20p-g3 server blade

Manual
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12322_ca/12322_ca.pdf

Now, the main problem with this hardware is that LVD UW SCSI HDDs are hard to find and hella expensive if you find em (and of reduced capacity).
Any of you know:

1. If there's any third party maker of any daughtercard offering SATA ports? The main board of the system has daughtercard sockets allowing for instance SFP ports http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_form-factor_pluggable_transceiver
Seems to me that there'd be a small but interesting niche for this kind of adapter.

2. If it's possible to use BootP for booting off a network drive?
I know there are some UWSCSI to SATA adapter daughtercards but those sell for $250 which is way over my budget.

So, if you had one of these blades but not any UWSCSI HDDs what would you do?

Thanks in advance for any pointer. This hardware is too good to back to the dumpster where I got mines from...
FC
--
During times of Universal Deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell