[CentOS] Old HP Xeon server blade with only SCSI HDD ports & CentOS

Fri Apr 11 14:28:34 UTC 2014

Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 6:25 AM, Christian Freund <freund at wrz.de> wrote:
>
> Yes, I figured that because of the HDD technology. I wasn´t sure of
> the 7 years or 5 years but I figured it was close to that timeframe.
> But you know, I´m typing this on a dual-core AMD Opteron purchased in
> 2008 so... old ancient hardware is the name of the game for me. ;)

I hate to say it, but that dual-core Opteron may be as powerful, or more
so, than the blade. But (I missed the beginning of this thread) have you
opened it up? It's *possible* that there might be a SATA connector on the
m/b. Certainly, we have servers from '08 or so that use SATA.

And drives - you can pick up "small" drives - 400G and under - fairly
cheaply, though 1 TB wouldn't be that expensive.
<snip>
> I think I´ve found a solution: there´s a daughtercard that apparently

Daughtercard, or riser? Riser might hold 2 expansion slots.

> includes a Mini-PCIe slot. In this, I figure I could add a half-height
> card with USB 3.0 and/or SATA controller. If the blade BIOS will

You might need "low profile", but you can find them. Since you're doing
this on your own, you can use places that, say, I can't, like eBay.

> recognize it and allow it to boot, that remains to be seen. This

That should be in the BIOS options.
<snip>
> So, is there a mailing list other than CentOS where I could find
> people knowledgeable about the internals of these blades? Right now my
> top priority is finding if I can hack a 48V DC power supply to the odd
> (proprietary? or de-facto blade standard?) connector at the back of
> the blade. I don´t want to pollute this list more with
> hardware-related messages.

Again, you could hit eBay for a power supply. But all the servers,
including blades, that I ever worked with were 120v or 220V (ok, this is
the US). Is the psu in the box dead?
<snip>
         mark