[CentOS] Death of dyndns

Mon Apr 14 04:03:18 UTC 2014
Anthony K <akcentos at anroet.com>

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> But would this "home" DNS server provide records accessible to others?

Be aware of DND DDoS Amplification attack *[0]* if you are running this
DNS at home as it can quickly deplete your bandwidth (if your ISP gives
you quotas per month).  I use the following *[1]* to help stop these
queries. However, since I'm dropping these when they hit my router, I'm
still losing bandwidth but not at a terribly fast pace!

Although the ISP can definitely stop such queries from getting to you,
it is not in their best interests and hence do nothing about it!  I've
been hit by this type of DDoS and the only option the ISP offered was to
change my static IP address; being that I run a mail server, I declined
and now just cope with the wasted DROP queries - ~11GB per month.  The
DDoS has been happening for the last 2 months and doesn't seem to be
letting up!  Maybe it is time to consider an IP address change!!!

Cheers,
ak.

*[0]* - https://www.watchguard.com/infocenter/editorial/41649.asp
*[1]* - http://www.perdichizzi.net/?p=294