[CentOS] Old HP Xeon server blade with only SCSI HDD ports & CentOS

Mon Apr 14 15:28:12 UTC 2014

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 04/14/2014 08:02 AM, mark wrote:
>> We've got servers that are 5+ years old, including a
>> once-supercomputer from SGI that's from, I think, '03. And if *anyone*
>> thinks we need to get rid of it, they can contact me offlist, to
>> arrange, from their pocket, a donation to the civilian sector of the
>> US federal gov't.....
> Heh, SGI Altix..... Got two, formerly used for weather modelling.  I
> have successfully rebuilt up to CentOS 5.9 (I haven't been able to

*ping*

SGI Altix 3000 here. There was some reason - support, I believe, from SGI,
that it's running SuSE 10. And the main users have collaborators around
the world, some of whom are on *older* systems due to budget or export
regs. But it's still test run occasionally to model protein folding....
(But I didn't say where I work, since I don't speak for the Institutes,
the agency, nor my employer (a federal contractor)....

> justify the work yet to get to 5.10, but over the summer perhaps) on our
> 30-CPU SGI Altix 350 system, and it's running on a small 4 CPU Altix
> 3700 (we have another 3700 with 20 CPU's, but it has a hardware issue
> somewhere).  RH support IA-64 in RHEL 5, so if you have an RH contract
> you can run straight RHEL5 on it.
>
> My newest servers are by most standards fairly old these days; a pair of
> Dell PE 6950's and a scattering of PE 1950's.  But they're solid, and
> they do the job.

Oh. START THE PROCESS to budget for replacements of the PE 1950's. Start
it last week. We replaced all ours a couple of years ago - inside of a
month, we had something like 4? 6? of them have the RAID daughterboard
croak (talk about quality control!), and they're years out of support,
anyway. R410 or R610's'll do you.

       mark