[CentOS] Does anyone use tcp wrappers (hosts.allow/hosts.deny) anymore?

Mon Apr 21 00:27:53 UTC 2014
Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org>

On 04/20/2014 06:48 PM, John Horne wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-03-20 at 15:48 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> Does anyone use tcp wrappers (hosts.allow/hosts.deny) anymore?
>>
> A very late reply - yes we use it in conjunction with iptables (on
> CentOS 5/6 and Fedora). Tcp_wrappers allows filtering based on DNS name,
> which (as far as I am aware) iptables does not. It is very easy to
> configure, and takes immediate effect (no restarting of processes
> required).
>
>>  And, would you care strongly if it went away (or would you just
>> migrate to something else)?
>>
> Since we use it I would obviously rather it did not go away :-) If we
> had to we would probably build our own from source, but initially may
> well just look to see if iptables could do all of what we wanted.

The problem here wouldn't be so much building it from source. You'd have
to rebuild everything that would make use of it as well. For example
sshd is linked against it. ->

[jperrin at monster localbuild]$ ldd /usr/sbin/sshd | grep wrap
	libwrap.so.0 => /lib64/libwrap.so.0

--
Jim Perrin