[CentOS] Samba4 questions

Tue Apr 22 14:36:22 UTC 2014

Please don't top post.

Steve Campbell wrote:
> On 4/22/2014 9:59 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Am 18.04.2014 17:49, schrieb Steve Campbell:
>>> I'm a little new to Samba when used as more than just a simple place to
>>> mount a single user to a single share, but we're now getting ready to
>>> replace our Netware servers with Samba, and I guess that means Active
>>> Directory DC.
>>>
>>> As I read more and more about this beast, I keep finding pages that
>>> indicate the samba4 rpms supplied with the Centos/RH distribution are
>>> not the full version and that I should get them from either samba.org
>>> or
>>> certain other sources that provide complete versions. These pages are a
>>> little dated, but not that old.
>>>
>>> Can anyone provide insight into what they've done in this situation and
>>> whether the samba rpms are now full versions? Most of what I have found
>>> on the web is dated around when samba4 just came out of beta through a
>>> little later.
>> <snip>
>> One question: why do you need samba 4? We're running 3.6.9 (the current)
>> on CentOS 6.5, in a moderately complex environment, and we connect to AD
>> (and kerberos, I think - I don't normally touch samba).
>>
> I'm not sure why I need that. As I stated, I'm a little new to Samba and
> AD. For some reason, my research suggests that to get AD, I need Samba 4.
>
> The person who manages our Netware, and who will be assuming the
> responsibility of managing all of this once installed wants to keep as
> much of the similarities between Samba and Netware as he/she can. We are
> replacing Netware with Samba as a file services device.

Well, Let me assure you that, as I said, we're running the version of
samba that you get when you do yum install samba with CentOS 6.5, and
we've been running for quite a number of years.

        mark "your federal tax dollars at work, here*"

* I work for a federal contractor at a civilian sector US federal gov't
organization. I do not speak for my organization, my employer, or the view
out my window (as if they'd give me a window).